For kicks I wanted to Ruby on Rails working. Here’s the combination of stuff I was using:
- Windows laptop running Vista.
- Mongrel web server which I think comes with default install of rails
- sqlite database. I didn’t want to put mysql or something else on this machine quite yet.
Here are the steps I followed.
- Went to http://www.rubyonrails.org. Clicked on the Download tab and followed the steps to download stuff.
- First item was ruby, which I installed to C:\ruby. Ruby comes with an installer. It was ruby186-26.exe for the version I downloaded.
- Then it was on to gems. You download the file, extract it, then run ruby setup.rb.
- I installed rails. That just involves typing in gem install rails –include-dependencies.
- Step 4 above might have been enough to install mongrel, a web server that rails can use. However, I ran gem install mongrel just to be sure.
- To get sqlite working, I downloaded sqlite from www.sqlite.org. I put sqlite3.exe, sqlite3.dll and sqlite3.def in c:\sqlite. HOWEVER, to get things working with ruby and rails, I copied these three files to c:\ruby\bin. THIS was critical.
- Then install the ruby/sqlite interface. Do that with: gem install sqlite3 .
- At this point I was ready to run rails. I made a new app people by doing
- “rails people”
- cd people
- started a browser and typed in http://localhost:3000
Yea!!! It worked.